Everyone experiences gloomy Sunday afternoon feelings from time to time. But if your home feels like it’s been in a constant state of the blues, it’s time to banish those negative, sad and downright depressing vibes that can have a dramatic effect on your mood once and for all. Trust us, you do want to try these techniques at home.
Here are the top 8 ways to remove negative energy from your home.
When someone purchases a new home, Colin T. McDonald, a NYS Licensed Real Estate Salesperson, always recommends they clean and wipe down surfaces before moving their belongings into the home. “This will aid in removing any type of negative energy from the previous owner,” he says.
When you enter a clean and clutter-free room, you feel good and the opposite happens when you enter a dirty, messy and cluttered room. This is mainly because all the clutter and dirt attract negative energy.
Every time you clean, you are automatically removing negative energy. This is why cleaning your home or workspace should be on your priority list to help fill the area with more positivity.
- Regularly clean and vacuum each and every room of your home, including the bathroom and kitchen.
- Clean all of the doors, doorknobs and windows in your space. They should be free of dirt and dust.
- Every night, make sure your cooking area and kitchen is free of dirty dishes.
- Keep your things organized and in their designated place.
- Get rid of things you no longer need. You will only end up with more clutter.
- Remove toxic products from your home.
- Do not put your laundry anywhere you like. Keep your laundry in a laundry hamper.
Smudging is one of the oldest and most effective ways to remove negative energy from your home. This age-old tradition is very popular among Native American people. For smudging, the most popular herb is sage. When burned, sage releases large amounts of negatively-charged ions in the air, which neutralize the positive charge in the air. Negative ions also help improve your sense of well being and mental clarity. Plus, the aroma of sage is simply relaxing and soothing. Sage sticks are readily available in the market. You can even make your own sage bundle at home. Take some sage sprigs and dry them out in the sun.
Once dry, tightly bind the sprigs together with a string or twine. Your homemade sage smudge stick is ready for use.
- Before starting the process, you need to clean your house and open all the doors and windows as well as cupboards and drawers.
- To smudge, light a rolled stick of sage placed in a fireproof container to catch ash and embers.
- Fan the sage delicately with a feather or your hand.
- Start off by cleansing yourself by lightly fanning the smoke into your body from the feet up to your head.
- Walk slowly around your home, swirling it in circular motions, concentrating on the walls, corners, floor as well as the ceiling. Keep yourself on the left side of the rooms all along.
- Say positive affirmations during the process to promote positivity.
- Finally, get the burning sage out of your house and put it in an open area to burn off.
Apart from sage, cedar, lavender, pine and other sweet-smelling herbs and plants can be used for smudging.
3. Remove Clutter
Yes, there’s a reason you feel so good after you clear off your counter. “Objects retain lots of energy and physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually block our ‘path’ forward,” says Maureen Calamia, a re-nature Feng Shui consultant. Oh, and did we mention clutter makes you feel tired and stressed, too?
4. Sunlight and Fresh Air
The first step to moving negative air out of your home: “Open up all the windows and create a draft to let the air come through, even if it’s freezing outside,” says Silvia Christmann, Growth Coach and health and happiness guru. “Fresh Air is everything.” While you’re at it, shake out your pillows and blankets, too.
5. Sea Salt
To absorb the negative energy of previous owners, the experts at Energy Muse recommend pouring salt into the four corners of your rooms, then letting it sit. After the 48 hours, either vacuum or sweep the salt and throw it away in the trash.
Sea salt is another option to transmute negative energy from your home as well as within you. It is also believed that sea salt helps generate negative ions in the air, thus creating positive vibes.
- Add a few tablespoons of sea salt to a cup of warm water and stir it thoroughly until the salt dissolves. Put the solution in a spray bottle. Spray this solution in different corners of your home.
- Sprinkle some sea salt over the entire room, especially in the corners that face the northeast and southwest directions. Leave it overnight if possible, then vacuum up the salt. Discard the salt particles outside.
- To purify your body, put 1 cup of sea salt in a bathtub filled with warm water. Soak your body in this water for 15 to 20 minutes for a relaxing and purifying bath.
6. Living Plants
When it comes to removing negative energy from your home, Mother Nature provides you with many options. There are many beautiful herbs and plants that are very effective at deflecting negative energy and balancing your inner connection with the outer world. Plus, living plants add beauty and greenness to your home décor. They also ensure that you have an ample supply of oxygen in your home. Some examples of living plants that you can put in different rooms to boost positivity include lucky bamboo, money plant, sage, holy basil, orchid, peace lily, aloe vera, rosemary and jasmine. Before bringing living plants inside your home, make sure you have time to water and maintain them. Always get rid of dead, dying and dried parts of the plants. If your plant dies, be sure to remove it quickly.
Sadly, you can’t just pick out your favorite color for this practice. “Black Touraline is known to ward off and dissolve negative energy,” says Christmann.”While Rose Quartz replaces negative emotions and feelings with positive ones.” She recommends keeping them close to electronic devices if possible.
There are several crystals and stones that can be used to ward off negative energy. Crystals release a higher vibration to break and repel negative energy away from your home and bring positive energy. It can even fight negative emotions and thoughts encountered from the people around us. Black tourmaline is one of the best crystals that you should have in your home. Place black tourmaline near the entrance to prevent any potential negative energy from entering your home. Another option is to place it in the center of your home to repel negative energy outward. Other crystals that are good at fighting bad energy are rose quartz, smoky quartz, hematite, jet, black onyx, amethyst, black obsidian and apache tear. To help crystals do their work, it is important to clean them once a week. Place them in a bowl of filtered water and dry them in the sun for at least four hours.
This fragrant smoke has long been a spiritual and meditation practice — so why not try it at home? Christmann says it’ll help elevate the energy: “Nag champa is best used in a clean home for meditation as it’s property creates a calm and serene atmosphere,” she says.
- Simply walk in a room and chant a prayer or mantra to allow positivity to seep into the house. You can even play an audio recording of any prayer, daily in the early morning or late afternoon.
- Natural fragrances of flowers can also expel negativity. Put fresh flowers in small bowls and place them in your rooms.
- Light scented candles, incense or your fireplace, if you have one. Fire is a powerful purification tool.
- You can even burn lemon or orange peels. The pleasant and uplifting smell also works to repel any lower energy circulating in your room.
- Meditation creates vibrations that help expel negativity from within you as well as your home. Meditate in your home on a daily basis.